What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are exactly what the name implies: simple raw rolled oats soaked overnight.
Instead of cooking your oats on the stove or in the microwave, you can actually eat them raw by soaking them in milk overnight (or at least 2 hours before eating them, to give them enough time to absorb the liquid and soften them to reach the perfect texture).
All you have to do is put all the ingredients in a jar and to let them rest in the fridge. By the next morning, you’ll have a perfect healthy breakfast that doesn’t require any cooking.
What I love about this way of preparing oats is that they are creamy and have a hearty and rich texture. They remind me of a delicious pudding.
What ingredients do you need for overnight oats recipe?
This is what you need:
● Rolled oats: Good old wholegrain rolled oats work best for this recipe.
● Milk: you do need something to soak your oats with. Your choice: you can use any kind of milk! Full-fat, semi-skimmed or skimmed milk. Or you can also use plant-based milk like almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk or cashew milk.
● Chia seeds: chia seeds are packed with antioxidants, protein, fiber, and omega-3’s. Adding just half a tablespoon helps to thicken your oats and make them extremely creamy and satisfying.
● Flax seeds: similar to chia seeds in terms of nutrition, they can help to reduce hunger and appetite. Plus, they’re often less expensive. They have a slightly nuttier texture.
● Yogurt: you can use greek yogurt or for a vegan option coconut or almond yogurt. Yogurt adds a tangy flavor and makes your oats extra creamy. You can add it into the mix or use it as a topping. And with greek yogurt, you’ll get an extra boost of protein!
● Sweetener: forget sugar when it comes to overnight oats. Natural sweeteners work like a treat. Maple syrup (vegan) or honey are my favorites. They dissolve and mix really well with the milk.
● Toppings: there is no limit to your imagination here! Fresh and dried fruit, nuts, any kind of nut butter, chocolate, Nutella, seeds and any different combination of spices.
● A pinch of salt: If you remember, adding a pinch of salt to your oats can help to bring out more flavor.