Skip to content
Spiced Carrot & Lentil Soup
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
- Scoop out about half with a spoon and set aside. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g grated carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
- Season to taste and finish with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600g carrots, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)
- 140g split red lentils
- 1l hot vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
- 125ml milk (to make it dairy-free, see ‘try’ below)
- plain yogurt and naan bread, to serve
- kcal 238
- fat 7g
- saturates 1g
- carbs 34g
- sugars 0g
- fibre 5g
- protein 11g
- salt 0.25g