Eggplant kasundi warm rice salad
- 1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add seeds and curry leaves. Cook for 2 minutes or until mustard seeds start to pop. Add the onion, ginger and two-thirds garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes until onion has softened. Add eggplant, curry powder and sugar. Cook 8-10 minutes until eggplant has softened slightly.
- 2. Stir in vinegar, half the tomatoes and 1 cup (250ml) water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer, loosely covered, for 25 minutes or until eggplant is very tender. Stir in chickpeas and remaining tomatoes.
- 3. For the rice, combine all ingredients with 2 cups (500ml) cold water and 1 tsp salt flakes in a pan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, without stirring, for 12 minutes or until water has been absorbed and rice is tender. Uncover and stir with a fork.
- 4. For dressing, combine yoghurt, lemon juice and remaining garlic in a small bowl.
- 5. Place rice in a bowl. Top with eggplant and cucumber. Drizzle over dressing and scatter with mint. Toss to serve.
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp each cumin seeds, caraway seeds, fennel seeds and nigella seeds
- 1 tbs brown mustard seeds
- 24 fresh curry leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g eggplant, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 tbs each curry powder, brown sugar and white vinegar
- 2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup (140g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
- Mint leaves, to serve
- 250g basmati rice
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 star anise